The spread of COVID-19 has impacted us all. Those in need are looking for support and those who are able to help are looking for ways in which to do so. The Jewish Federation (JFSA) and the Jewish Community Foundation of Southern Arizona (JCF) are here to provide resources and opportunities to join together with the community to be a force for good during these challenging times.
Resources for Jewish Community Members
- We are working with Jewish Family and Children’s Services of Southern Arizona (JFCS) to expand our community’s Jewish Emergency Financial Assistance (JEFA) program.
- JEFA provides food cards, medical assistance, and other basic provisions for Jewish people and families in need.
- Jewish Elder Access connects seniors 60+ to the services and support they need.
- Case management, resource referral, and assistance navigating benefits.
- Contact JFCS Monday - Friday 9 am to 4 pm at (520) 795-0300. All services are currently being provided by phone or through teleconferencing.
- JFSA's Handicar Service provides free rides for Jewish seniors and adults with disabilities.
- This service can be used for limited but essential transportation to pharmacies, grocery stores, and other services such as medical appointments. (Pre-registration required. Call 520-647-8456.)
- Contact Handicar 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (520) 881-3391.
- Chaplaincy Services for Jewish individuals and their families while in the hospital or on hospice are available through JFSA.
- All services will be provided by phone at this time.
- Contact Stacey Tarquinio at [email protected] or (520) 419-8338.
Resources for All Community Members
- JCF, JFSA, and a number of Southern Arizona synagogues invest in the work of Interfaith Community Services (ICS). They offer:
- Emergency financial assistance to all community members in need.
- Two permanent food banks and a mobile food pantry.
- Essential services for senior and disabled adults including transportation to the doctor or grocery store, shopping for seniors, mobile meals, and friendly phoning. (Pre-registration required. Call 520-526-9311)
- Contact ICS Monday - Friday from 9 am to 4 pm at (520) 297-6049.
- Free Loan at the Jewish Federation of Southern Arizona is an interest-free, non-sectarian, non-profit organization offering interest-free loans for those in need. Qualified applicants can receive a loan up to a maximum of $5,000 with the appropriate guarantor. Contact the Free Loan at (520) 297-5360 or [email protected].
- Visit the Virtual J Community, an online project of the Tucson JCC, to find activities to do with children, Jewish texts and resources, Early Childhood Education tools, recipes, online workouts and more.
Your Donation Powers Our Immediate Response
JCF and JFSA are engaging our donors, volunteers, and partners to support the critical and immediate needs in our community during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are building our Jewish Community Pandemic Relief Fund which provides emergency financial assistance and meets other critical needs for individuals, families, and the agencies who serve them. Circumstances change quickly, and with your help, we strengthen our capacity to respond rapidly to the growing challenges facing us during this pandemic. Thanks to the generosity and visionary leadership of several families in our community, when you give to the Jewish Community Pandemic Relief Fund, your gift will be matched dollar-for-dollar up to $150,000, doubling your impact.
- Provide social connections via phone and video chat for isolated community members or recommend individuals who might benefit from this service through JFSA. Contact the Jewish Community Concierge Carol Sack at [email protected] or at (520) 647-8446.
- Interfaith Community Services (ICS) is seeking volunteers to assist with its food bank and other key roles providing service to the community. Contact Tori Carlson-Foscz, ICS Volunteer Services Manager, at [email protected].
- Sew reusable masks with Mending Souls. Volunteers at the Ruth and Irving Olson Center for Jewish Life have organized a program to allow anyone with a sewing machine to produce and drop off masks for hospitals and other locations in which individuals are potentially at risk. Contact Mending Souls at (520) 437-6007.
Emails and Articles About Our Response to COVID-19
- Happy Passover from the Jewish Federation and Jewish Community Foundation of Southern Arizona, 4/8/2020
- Jewish Community Responds to Pandemic with Relief Fund Arizona Jewish Post, 4/3/2020
- Jewish Community Pandemic Relief Fund First Grants Announced Email, 4/2/2020
- Visionary Donors Provide Dollar-for-Dollar Match for Jewish Community Pandemic Relief Fund Email, 3/25/2020
- Jewish Federation and Jewish Community Foundation Respond to COVID-19 Email, 3/20/2020
- Keeping Our Community Safe and Healthy Email, 3/17/2020
- Working Together to Stay Healthy During COVID-19 Email, 3/13/2020
Reputable Sources of Information on COVID-19
- Centers for Disease Control
- World Health Organization
- Pima County Health Department
- Arizona Department of Health Services
- National Institutes of Health
- City of Tucson
- Jewish Federations of North America
Additional Links that May be of Interest
- Want to stay connected to religious life? Southern Arizona congregations
- PJ Library Resources for Quarantined Families
Please note: Our website and the materials on this website are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal or medical advice.