1 1/2 lbs. green cabbage
1 28 oz. can of tomatoes, whole or diced
1 onion, cut fine
2 lbs. short ribs or chuck meat
1/2 tsp. Sour salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
Ginger Snaps - about 5
1. Cut cabbage into 1-inch size pieces.
2. Cut chuck, if using into, large serving size pieces, or leave short ribs uncut.
3. Add meat to pot; cover with water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes; skim the foam that forms.
4. Add cabbage, onions and tomatoes: simmer for 3-4 hours.
5. Add the sour salt and sugar and adjust to your taste.
6. Mix a little of the liquid with crushed gingersnaps; stir in and cook 15 minutes to thicken.